We are looking for a Design Director to play a key role in our Kyiv design studio, reporting to our Head of Design (Ukraine). It’s an opportunity to help shape and improve the operation of a large design studio, within an already established consultancy and design practice.
The ideal candidate has the experience and capabilities to lead teams in designing experiences that push the limits of innovation and put the user in focus. It is someone who can envision and bring simple, yet highly engaging experiences to life that balance desirability, viability, and feasibility. A person who has an entrepreneurial mindset and is willing to roll up their sleeves and contribute to the growth and vitality of the studio. Someone who can bring in unique perspectives and practices to fuse with our existing processes and methodologies.
Qualifications & Experience
- 8+ years of professional experience working in cross-disciplinary teams for agencies/consultancies or product companies.
- Relevant domains of experience include: Consumer electronics, IoT (industrial and consumer), automotive and mobility, health and wellness, enterprise software, retail, consumer goods, and electronics.
- Experience crafting meaningful and impactful strategies, visions and concepts, and an ability to work closely and collaboratively with business and technology leaders in our clients’ teams and within Star.
- Mastery of full the design process and an ability to own and contribute hands-on to projects, from experience strategy and ideation through concept development and refinement to product design and implementation.
- Experience with digital products and platforms is a must-have, experience with the brand, services, and hardware are all nice-to-haves.
- Experience leading design project teams and overseeing team efforts to ensure projects are delivered to the client’s expectations.
- Experience managing a design unit/team/practice, including talent management (recruiting, developing, retaining) and business/commercial management (unit KPI responsibility, operational liaison).
- Agile, open-minded, and comfortable with ambiguity.
- Self-driven, quick learner, and decisive.
- Charismatic, a storyteller, and a big-picture thinker.
- Leads by example and creates a strong culture and creative environment, as well as mentoring and educating team members.
- Excellent spoken and written English – other language skills are a bonus.
- Bring in new business in close collaboration with the sales and business development team, representing Star in client calls/meetings and at conferences, leading the efforts to understand client needs and craft compelling proposals for our approach to solving their needs and creating value.
- Oversee delivery of design projects owned by the Kyiv design studio. A mix of hands-on involvement as project lead, and hands-off oversight of other projects/leads, and collaborate with the Head of Design (Ukraine) & other studios’ peers to resource projects across studios.
- Help build and develop the Kyiv design team. Lead recruiting efforts to match talent supply with project demands, and retain talent through rewarding work, professional development, and a great working environment.
- Other responsibilities include contributing to our thought leadership efforts, liaising with other studio heads globally to share best practices, and collaborating with back-office departments to ensure appropriate support for your studio.
Star is a global technology company that connects strategy, design, and engineering services and helps companies to accelerate their product innovation. We support our customers every step of the co-creation way — from ideation and concept crafting to full-stack development and putting solutions into the hands and minds of end-users.
Star works for businesses in a variety of industries, including Automotive & Mobility, Health & Wellness, FinTech, and others.
Customers include Panasonic, Lotus, Zeiss, NIO and Lufthansa.
Compensations and Benefits
Star offers a competitive and rewarding salary and benefits package as well as an intellectually and creatively stimulating work environment. You will find professional flexibility, new ways of working and unique international travel opportunities.