We are looking for a Director of Strategy & Insight who will take on a leading role in understanding, challenging and inspiring our clients, while positioning Star to be their strategic design-led technology innovation partner.
This role will be a key contributor to driving strategic growth at Star, by dramatically expanding our efforts to help our clients in the DACH region (and Chinese market on request) envision, consult and deliver groundbreaking business, product and service solutions.
The Director of Strategy & Insight will be a key member of the local commercial team to identify and pursue strategic growth with new and existing clients. You should be dedicated to building partnerships, collaborating with clients to understand their needs, identifying complex business challenges, utilizing design methodologies to facilitate strategic problem-solving, and designing innovative approaches that create solutions with a deep and tangible impact. You should also be comfortable guiding clients through organizational challenges and change processes as they transform to design-led organizations.
In the Munich office, you will collaborate with the commercial and design studio teams to support your initiatives and to define program approaches and work packages for new engagements. As client opportunities turn into projects and programs, you will act as a subject-matter expert to the efforts of the core project team and the client.
You will also partner with the global Strategy & Insight team to share best practices, and advance our approach to exploring new business.
Our Strategy & Insight team is comprised of some of our most prominent thought leaders, and you will have the opportunity to have your thoughts, ideas, and perspectives crafted into public thought leadership, as well as help, educate fellow team members globally on key trends, insights, and opportunities.
- 10+ years of professional experience working in cross-disciplinary teams in a design/digital/innovation/strategy consultancy environment
- Experience of planning and facilitating workshops with clients to unearth underlying needs, understand opportunities, explore and ideate solutions, and create focus and alignment
- Experience in client-facing communication in business development contexts, from early exploratory discussions to final pitch presentations, comfortable in front of C-level audiences.
- Mastery of tools and methodologies across design and market research, experience strategy, and business design
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Ability to travel 10-15% of the time (mostly within DACH, some within the rest of Europe)
Nice to have:
- Deep experience in understanding of one or moresome of our key domains: Automotive & Mobility, Internet of Things, Health & WellnessFitness, Digital Transformation, Data Science, Consumer Electronics, Retail, Industry 4.0
- Experience with thought leadership and content creation, such as trend reports, white papers, keynote presentations, etc.
- Experience partnering closely with technology strategists and solution architects in the sales and proposal process.
- Exposure to technology startups and corporate innovation ecosystems – either through direct employment, client relationships, or personal network
- Excellent spoken and written German
- Shape and identify opportunities for collaboration with new and existing clients, translating business needs and requirements into project briefs
- Partner with sales and delivery teams to craft compelling proposals and pitches, that are built on a strong narrative and are visually stunning
- Support project teams directly as a contributor and task owner at key phases of a project, and/or indirectly as a subject-matter expert and sparring partner.
- Lead and contribute to thought leadership content creation and advancing subject-matter expertise in key industries and domains
- Planning and driving research programs, and turning research data into meaningful insights and opportunities
- Exploring opportunity areas holistically and define insights-driven business and experience strategies that balance human desirability, technical feasibility, and business viability
- Defining value propositions and business models that enable companies to extract the commercial value of industry-leading product and service experiences
- Contributing to refining and enhancing business development processes.
Star is a global consultancy that connects strategy, design, engineering and marketing services into a seamless workflow devised to support our clients every step of the way – no matter how long or complex their journey. We anchor everything we do in clear and compelling endgames, which in turn enable our strategists, designers and engineers to create useful, scalable products and solutions. We are 750 strategists, designers, engineers and marketers in 12 locations around the world, and we are here to make every great idea, every great person and every great company shine. That is why we’re called Star.
Compensation and Benefits
Star offers a competitive and rewarding salary and benefits package as well as an intellectually and creatively stimulating work environment. You will find professional flexibility, new ways of working and unique international travel opportunities.