If you are truly global and open-minded, always thinking outside the box and having a holistic approach to creating unforgettable user experiences—read on!
You will take our APAC design team to the next level by using your strong leadership skills!
At Star, we connect strategy, insights, design and engineering into a seamless workflow devised to support our clients every step of the way—no matter how long or complex their journey becomes. We anchor everything we do in clear and compelling endgames which, in turn, enables our multidisciplinary teams to create superior solutions and impressive commercial returns for our clients.
Star is truly global. That’s why we are the first major consulting company that does not have a headquarters. Instead, we have many front doors, including Silicon Valley, Tokyo, London, Munich, Copenhagen, Kyiv, Wroclaw, Ho Chi Minh City and many other vibrant design, technology and creative hubs around the world. Our spirited and growing 750+ strong Star People take immense pride in working side-by-side with their trailblazing counterparts at some of the world’s most disruptive “unicorn” startups and iconic global brands like Lufthansa, Dolby Laboratories, BMW, Panasonic, Walmart and Zeiss.
Our mission is to make every great person, every great idea and every great company shine. That’s why we’re called Star.
We’re looking for a Head of Design (all genders) to lead our teams in APAC – where, currently, we have design teams in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, and Tokyo, Japan. We are committed to growing our presence and design capabilities in both locations and to potentially adding other design teams in the APAC region soon. Your global team of colleagues includes software and hardware technologists, and together you will have the opportunity to create industry-defining products.
- Lead by example and create a strong culture and creative environment;
- Oversee delivery of design projects owned by the Tokyo design studio;
- Comfortable with a mix of hands-on involvement as project lead, hands-off oversight of other projects/leads, and collaboration with global design leadership peers to co-create projects across studios;
- Lead recruiting efforts to match talent supply with project demands and retain talent through rewarding work, professional development, and a great working environment;
- Bring in new business in close collaboration with the Tokyo sales and business development teams;
- Represent Star in client calls/meetings and at conferences;
- Lead the efforts to understand client needs and craft compelling proposals for our approach to solving their needs and creating value;
- Contribute to our thought leadership efforts, liaising with other studio heads globally to share best practices, and collaborate with back-office departments to ensure appropriate support for your studio;
- Comfortable with ambiguity and complexity of a given challenge.
- An intrinsic motivation to challenge the status-quo and ability to think analytically and cross-pollinate ideas into novel solutions;
- The ability to express a positive and optimistic spirit (because, above all, we need your smile and personality!);
- 8+ years of professional experience working as a part of cross-disciplinary teams for agencies/consultancies;
- Passion for human-centered design as a means of problem-solving;
- Empathy for the people you work with and the people you design for;
- Experience crafting meaningful and impactful strategies, visions and concepts, and the ability to work closely and collaboratively with business and technology leaders in our clients’ teams and within Star;
- Mastery of the design process and ability to own and contribute hands-on to projects, from experience strategy and ideation through concept development and refinement to product design and implementation;
- Experience with digital products and platforms;
- Experience leading design project teams and overseeing team efforts to ensure projects are delivered to the client’s expectations;
- Experience managing a design unit/team/practice/department/studio, including talent management (recruiting, developing, retaining) and business/commercial management (unit KPI responsibility, operational liaison);
- Fluent proficiency in both English and in Japanese languages.
- Experience in some or all of our other key business and technology domains: Automotive & Mobility, Health & Wellness, Industry & Manufacturing or Consumer Electronics;
- Experience working within Agile software development teams;
- Experience with brand design, service design, and creating hardware solutions.
Compensations and Benefits
We offer a rewarding compensation and benefits package, intellectually and creatively stimulating environment, professional flexibility and unique international travel opportunities.
Star is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that equity, diversity and inclusion are key to our ability to provide our clients and crew members with unique business and career outcomes. Your race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability have no effect on our hiring decisions. If you have a special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.