If you are an experienced M&A professional with an ambition to build and scale the M&A efforts for a fast-growing digital innovation consultancy – read on!
At Star, we connect strategy, insights, design, and engineering into a seamless workflow devised to support our clients every step of the way—no matter how long or complex their journey. We anchor everything we do in clear and compelling endgames, which in turn enable our multidisciplinary teams to create superior solutions and impressive commercial returns for our clients.
Star is truly global. That is why we are the first major consulting company that does not have a headquarter. Instead, we have many front doors, spanning Silicon Valley, Tokyo, London, Munich, Copenhagen, Kyiv, Wroclaw, Ho Chi Minh City, and other vibrant design, technology, and creative nuclei of the world. Our spirited and growing 750+ strong Star Crew takes immense pride in working side by side with their trailblazing counterparts at some of the world’s most disruptive “unicorn” startups and iconic global brands like Lufthansa, Dolby Laboratories, BMW, Panasonic, Walmart, and Zeiss.
Our mission is to make every great person, every great idea, and every great company shine. That’s why we’re called Star.
Star is looking to hire a Head of M&A who will be responsible for our M&A program from deal sourcing through integration. It’s a unique opportunity to shape and scale a corporate M&A program, working closely with our VP of Corporate Strategy, Chairman, and leadership team to build and run a M&A engine capable of predictably delivering strategic inorganic growth.
Star’s M&A team plays a critical role in ensuring that we reach our endgame, by maintaining a healthy inorganic growth rate, creating new platforms of organic growth, expanding our service offering, deepening our expertise and capabilities, and diversifying into adjacent areas of opportunity.
- Own the entire M&A process, ensuring that target companies are properly qualified and assessed for strategic fit, business cases are created, offers and term sheets are crafted and negotiated, due diligence is executed, financing and legal considerations are covered, integration is planned and executed, and post-closing performance is measured and optimized;
- Partner closely with internal stakeholders, leading the deal team through our M&A process, ensuring that consensus is built with the key members of the deal team;
- Manage the M&A pipeline, ensuring that we have a balanced and healthy pipeline that reflects our roadmap and the priorities of the business;
- Define and document our M&A strategy and themes, and communicate to relevant internal and external stakeholders;
- Codify our process and approach to M&A in an M&A Playbook, with continuous iterations as our scale and maturity level increases;
- Continuously identify and implement improvements to our M&A operations, injecting best practices as well as new approaches;
- Build, manage, and develop a global M&A team to support our objectives;
- Develop M&A thought leadership, branding Star as an M&A leader in our industry, and positioning us as the most attractive company for ambitious companies to join forces with.
- Must have
- 10+ years of professional experience including 5+ years of M&A experience;
- Project management skills and the ability to oversee and contribute to multiple parallel initiatives;
- A global mindset with the ability to conduct business effectively with internal and external stakeholders in any location;
- Excellent presentation skills, being able to communicate compelling messages to senior internal and external audiences;
- Effective communication skills with the ability to engage with stakeholders from a variety of functions and seniority levels;
- Natural curiosity, able to take on a steep learning curve to understand Star’s business, industry and ecosystem;
- Challenger mentality, not settling for status quo and always pushing yourself, the people around you, and the company at large to do better and be better;
- Fluent English skills (written and spoken).
- Should have
- Corporate M&A experience;
- Experience with the consultancy industry and business models, either in strategy/M&A capacity, or as a consultant;
- Experience hiring and managing junior team members;
- Experience building and maintaining a network of relevant relationships to facilitate deal flow.
- Nice to have
- Corporate development and strategy (non-M&A) experience;
- Relationships in the M&A ecosystem (investment bankers, M&A advisors, legal firms, lenders, corporate M&A groups);
- Experience defining and codifying M&A playbooks, including process, tools, and templates;
- Experience selecting and implementing software tools that make M&A operations more efficient;
- Experience with creating thought leadership content;
- Other language proficiencies.
Compensation and Benefits
We offer a rewarding compensation and benefits package, intellectually and creatively stimulating environment, professional flexibility and unique international travel opportunities.
Star is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that equity, diversity and inclusion are key to our ability to provide our clients and crew members with unique business and career outcomes. Your race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability have no effect on our hiring decisions. If you have a special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.