You are an early to mid-career technology business development professional with a knack for building relationships with entrepreneurs and venture capitalists and a keen interest in how startups operate and how new products are created, from ideas to market successes.
Here is your next opportunity: As Head of Startups at Star, you will define, run, and own commercial initiatives that will grow Star’s market share within the Startup ecosystem.
Star is a global team of product creators. We have grown over 30% annually for over a decade, expanding the depth of our consulting services, geographic footprint and the industries we serve. We are now looking forward to the next ten years of rapid growth as we become a household name in consulting.
At Star, we connect strategy, insights, design and engineering into a seamless workflow devised to support our clients every step of the way—no matter how long or complex their journey. We anchor everything we do in clear and compelling endgames, which in turn enable our multidisciplinary teams to create superior solutions and impressive commercial returns for our clients.
Star is truly global. That is why we are the first major consulting company that does not have headquarters. Instead, we have many front doors spanning Silicon Valley, Tokyo, London, Munich, Copenhagen, Kyiv, Wroclaw, Ho Chi Minh City and other vibrant design, technology and creative nuclei of the world. Our spirited and growing 750+ strong Star Crew takes great pride in working side by side with their trailblazing counterparts at some of the world’s most disruptive “unicorn” startups and iconic global brands like Lufthansa, Dolby Laboratories, BMW, Panasonic, Walmart and Zeiss.
Our mission is to make every great person, every great idea, and every great company shine. That’s why we’re called Star.
We are looking for you, a magnet business developer with a passion for startups. As our Head of Startups, you’ll be central to our commercial growth within the ecosystem of fledgling venture-funded companies. We’d love to hear from you if the following describes you:
- An up-to-date technology trends wizard;
- Familiarity with Agile product development and scaling challenges startups face;
- An entrepreneurial leader ready to take ownership and execute on a large market opportunity;
- Passionate about working with clients, internal stakeholders and innovation ecosystem players (VC’s, incubators, accelerators, entrepreneurs, and product developers);
- Able to shape deals that meet client needs and leverage our unique value proposition.
You’ll report to Star’s Executive Director (West Coast) and be an integral part of the commercial team. You’ll also be in close contact with key executive leaders and industry experts.
Outside of developing your clients in Silicon Valley, you will also have a chance to establish Star’s general value proposition toward startups and support global deals with your startup experience.
- Create and execute a new customer targeting strategy to close and expand new business;
- Spend a significant portion of time in the field, developing and leveraging relationships through personal meetings, presentations and networking opportunities;
- Assess risks and qualify new business opportunities;
- Work with customers and the Star team to determine opportunity scope, requirements and specifications;
- Build a unique customer value proposition for each client in collaboration with product designers, solutions architects and industry leaders, while shaping and closing new projects with customers;
- Manage existing customer relationships with project managers to ensure top-notch service delivery by maintaining project profitability and customer success targets;
- Own the commercial funnel, ensuring there are high-potential clients in each stage of the funnel with a continuous and growing flow of new relationships, new deals and repeat customers;
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of the startup ecosystem and technological landscape.
Qualifications and experience:
- 5+ years of sales/business development experience selling product strategy, design, engineering or consulting services to startups;
- Thought leadership and specific knowledge of key topics including emerging technology and market trends;
- Sales hunter experience with an existing network in the startup ecosystem and a strong ability to identify and open new accounts;
- Experience using consultative approaches to acquire new clients through a charming attitude, and an empathetic and strategic mindset;
- Proven ability to consistently meet and over-achieve commercial targets;
- Demonstrated capability to manage all phases of the sales process - from marketing and lead generation to closing deals and developing client relationships;
- Fluent in both spoken and written English.
Would be a plus:
- Experience in a hyper-growth startup;
- Fast-paced, highly collaborative and team-oriented mindset;
- Acquainted with a network of prominent VCs, startup CEOs, entrepreneurs and founders.
Nice to have:
- Background in automotive & mobility, healthtech, fintech, or media industries;
- Familiarity with the “design thinking” discipline and approach of product innovation.
Compensations and Benefits
We offer a rewarding compensation and benefits package, intellectually and creatively stimulating environment, professional flexibility and unique international travel opportunities.
Star is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that equity, diversity and inclusion are key to our ability to provide our clients and crew members with unique business and career outcomes. Your race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability have no effect on our hiring decisions. If you have a special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.