At Star, we connect strategy, insights, design, and engineering into a seamless workflow devised to support our clients every step of the way—no matter how long or complex their journey. We anchor everything we do in clear and compelling endgames, which in turn enable our multidisciplinary teams to create superior solutions and impressive commercial returns for our clients.
Star is truly global. That is why we are the first major consulting company that does not have headquarters. Instead, we have many front doors, spanning Silicon Valley, Tokyo, London, Munich, Copenhagen, Kyiv, Wroclaw, Ho Chi Minh City, and other vibrant design, technology, and creative nuclei of the world. Our spirited and growing 750+ strong Star Crew takes great pride in working side by side with their trailblazing counterparts at some of the world’s most disruptive “unicorn” startups and iconic global brands like Lufthansa, Dolby Laboratories, BMW, Panasonic, Walmart, and Zeiss.
Our mission is to make every great person, every great idea, and every great company shine. That’s why we’re called Star.
We’re looking for a Lead UX Designer who can design sophisticated and highly engaging connected product and service experiences in the broader automotive and mobility domains—pushing limits of innovation and putting the user in the center. The ideal candidate is based in North America, preferably in Silicon Valley, Austin, or Detroit. You will join a team of designers who work across digital, physical and spatial product domains. Your global team of colleagues includes software and hardware technologists — together, you will have the opportunity to create industry-defining products.
- Hands-on leadership experience with 7+ years in service design;
- Experience solving complex design problems for web and mobile;
- Ability to transform research findings into designs that provide usable, effective and efficient experiences;
- Experience leading 1-2 design projects simultaneously while overseeing team efforts to ensure projects are delivered to clients’ expectations;
- Mastery of the full design process from user research to experience strategy and ideation, through prototyping and validation to implementation;
- Facilitate engaging co-creative workshops (virtually or in-person) with clients and team members to build consensus and enable growth;
- A compelling portfolio of distinctive projects showing product, service and web design, as well as strong storytelling skills;
- Communicate professionally and effectively in English (and ideally in a second language);
- Contribute to sales processes and client networking;
- Scope and manage projects;
- Maintain and expand relationships with clients;
- Manage project budgets and deadlines on time and target;
- Strong deck writing and dynamic presentation skills.
- An academic background (bachelor’s or master’s degree) in the field of Service Design, Interaction Design, Design Thinking, UX Design or another relevant program;
- Automotive & mobility design experience (OEM/Tier1 or agency/consultancy) working in areas such as infotainment, navigation, ADAS, HMI, connected services, mobility or other future mobility services;
- An intrinsic motivation to challenge the status quo;
- The ability to think analytically and cross-pollinate ideas for novel solutions;
- A passion for human-centered design as a means to problem solving;
- Empathy for the people you work with and the people you design for;
- The ability to express an optimistic spirit.
- Experience working in some of our key business and technology domains, including: Health & Wellness, Industry & Manufacturing, FinTech or Consumer Electronics;
- The ability to mock-up or prototype experiences in VR/AR;
- Experience working within Agile software development teams.
We value a variety of experts in our global teams at Star. You don’t need to check every box on this list to apply.
We offer a rewarding compensation and benefits package, intellectually and creatively stimulating environment, professional flexibility and unique international travel opportunities.
Star is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that equity, diversity and inclusion are key to our ability to provide our clients and crew members with unique business and career outcomes. Your race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability have no effect on our hiring decisions. If you have a special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.