We are looking for a motivated and ambitious Technology Director to take on a unique pre-sales role focused on challenging, elevating and inspiring Star’s prospective clients, and positioning us as the product development partner of choice.
This role, based in London, will be a critical contributor to driving sales and strategic growth both for Star’s UK practice, as well as it’s emerging global Fintech proposition. The Technology Director will report to Star’s Chief Technology Officer and enjoy a matrixed function spanning both geographic and sector concentrations. Day to day he/she will partner closely with:
- The UK Commercial Lead (and respective team), helping identify, pursue and close high potential pre-sales opportunities across regardless of sector; and
- The Global Fintech Lead (and respective team), helping identify, pursue and close high potential pre-sales opportunities regardless of geography.
The ideal candidate has both a technology solutions background (perhaps sourced from technical consulting, professional services, time at a start-up or in some other product role), as well as an entrepreneurial mindset and is someone who’s willing to roll up their sleeves and contribute to the growth and vitality of Star.
Charisma, ambition, and confidence will be essential, yet the successful candidate will also need to be humble, disarming, and above all a team player. We value pragmatism, which to us means creating real solutions to real challenges for real people. Last but not least, attention to detail and always striving to do better is critical because ‘good enough’ is never good enough.
Due to its matrixed nature, the ideal candidate will also need to be nimble, highly commercial, and able to operate autonomously at a C-Suite level. You should be dedicated to building partnerships, collaborating with customers to understand their needs, identifying complex business and technical challenges, creating winning propositions and proposals, as well as architecting, planning, and managing the development of technology solutions that create a deep and tangible impact.
Whilst the role is pre-sales in its focus, you will collaborate with technical delivery teams to support your initiatives and define delivery approaches and work packages for new engagements. As customer opportunities turn into projects and programs, you will support the core project team’s efforts as a subject matter expert, and lead select research, discovery, and delivery engagements. You will also partner with other Technology Directors globally as well as with Star Project Management, Product Management, Customer Success, Design, and CTO offices to share best practices, and contribute to the creation and expansion of our technology, product management, and solutions delivery practices.
You will also be central to further developing and refining our brand both in UK territory and for our global Fintech practice. Technology Directors are some of our most prominent thought leaders, and you will have the opportunity to have your thoughts, ideas, and perspectives crafted into public thought leadership, as well as helping to educate fellow team members globally on key trends. A strong point of view, and a preparedness to share it in verbal or written form (whether that be with clients, or as wider thought pieces, webinars, presentations, or some other form of marketing) will be essential.
- 7+ years of professional experience in agile software development, or in technology consulting or sales (with a strong technology background)
- Deep understanding of software development processes, including agile engineering, QA, DevOps practices
- Hands-on experience in engineering complex software solutions, within all of cloud, web and mobile layers
- Experience and strong interest in supporting pre-sales activities, leading client workshops and meetings, and a real desire to be with customers
- Demonstrated experience in FinTech, and ideally banking, insurance or with start-ups, demonstrating wider experience in other categories.
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally 10-20% of the time
Nice to have:
- Depth in Automotive & Mobility, Health & Wellness, FinTech, AdTech & MarTech, and Consumer Electronics, Industry & Manufacturing
- Prior work experience in a Consulting/Architecture position within a software and/or services company
- Experience with the entrepreneurial dynamics of a start-up
- Second European language (French)
- Analysis of technology aspects of prospective client’s businesses and identification of their technology-related needs and challenges
- Prospective client-facing communication in business development contexts, from early exploratory discussions to Q’n’A sessions, to final pitch presentations, comfortable in front of C-level audiences
- In coordination with the rest of the participating team, planning and facilitating workshops with customers to define high-level system and software architectures as well as solution scope. As part of that, being comfortable with the white-board and workshop-style problem analysis
- Crafting compelling proposals and pitches that are built on a strong narrative, and are technically state-of-the-art
- Contributing to thought leadership and other marketing initiatives via internal R&D initiatives and industry events participation, the publication of white papers and blog posts, organization of webinars, etc.
- Contributing to refining and enhancing software development and business development processes
Star is a global consultancy that connects strategy, design, engineering and marketing services into a seamless workflow devised to support our clients every step of the way – no matter how long or complex their journey. We anchor everything we do in clear and compelling endgames, which in turn enable our strategists, designers and engineers to create useful, scalable products and solutions. We are 750 strategists, designers, engineers, and marketers in 12 locations around the world, and we are here to make every great idea, every great person and every great company shine. That is why we’re called Star.
Compensation and Benefits
Star offers a competitive and rewarding salary and benefits package, as well as an intellectually and creatively stimulating work environment, flexibility, and unique international travel opportunities